22 July 2015

LMH Mixtape #28: Sonic the Hedgehog

Writing the usual sort of unbiased third-person introduction was almost impossible for KeyGlyph this week.  Why is that, you ask?  Because for her -- as well as countless other gamers -- the music from the Sonic the Hedgehog series holds some of the nearest and dearest spots in her VGM-loving heart.  This mixtape may send you through loop-de-loops of nostalgia, or it may take you to previously unknown zones; either way, there's simply no denying that the LMH Sonic the Hedgehog focus was way past cool.


KEYGLYPH'S AWARDS & COMMENDATIONS are TEMPORARILY CLOSED


Track listing and original episode:

http://legacymusichour.blogspot.com/2011/05/legacy-music-hour-episode-28-sonic.html

4 comments:

  1. So here's a little Sonic the Hedgehog story I want to share.

    I was four when my family got our first console (an NES), and for whatever reason I was immediately into the music. For a lot of the games we owned, though, the only way to listen to tunes uninterrupted was to sit around on introduction screens and menus. I considered it a miracle when a game let tracks loop while paused -- but even then, that required the player to be dextrous enough to get to later levels to hear specific tracks. At four years old there was a definite limit to what my motor skills could achieve, so there was a lot I knew I wouldn't get to hear.

    Then a few years later we got a Genesis, and when we eventually picked up a copy of Sonic 2, I discovered something on its menu screen called SOUND TEST.

    My brain literally figuratively exploded.

    Sonic 2 became the first video game soundtrack I thought to record to cassette, and it's because the sound test made it so easy. I spent the better part of a morning standing next to our TV and taping it all with my Fischer-Price recorder. I then spent the better part of two years listening to that tape on every long car trip. It was glorious. (Sonic 1 technically does have a sound test too, but for whatever reason I didn't investigate it before Sonic 2 came along.)

    So, when I do these mixtapes, I feel like I'm doing the exact same thing I've been doing since I was eight. I just have better technology this time. :)

    And it all started with Sonic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess! Talk about nostalgia - I felt like I was back at home watching my brother playing Sonic. Good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found out from a friend that you guys were back on air. Starting from the break and am moving forward to catch.

    Simply put, I have missed the show. The banter between you two is classic and I absolutely love chiptunes. Thank you so much for giving it the ol' college try once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mix, we are listening while we play board games. Thanks keyglyph, as well as Brent, rob, and chicken Jessica

    ReplyDelete